Thursday 26 July 2012

Frostbite

Just when you think you figured-out or mastered how nature works you sometimes get a little reminder how fragile we humans are... in the greater scheme of things.  A week or so ago we needed to bring something in from outside and seeing that it would only take 30 seconds I thought I would run out in my base clothes grab what we needed and run back in.    That in itself was not a terrible idea but what I did not anticipate was the effect of touching ice-cold metal with my bare hands.  I picked up what needed to be moved and after maybe 5 seconds decided to rather put it down but in that short time the damage was done.  I later learned that I helped myself to a minor degree of frostbite.  This is what my hand looked like after a day or so:



Initially it did not feel as if anything was wrong but later it felt like I burnt my hands on a hot plate.  It stayed like this for a few days before by skin started blistering as shown below:


At the moment they are 99,5% back to normal, with some spots still peeling.  I think the lesson learned is although the difference between summer and winter temperatures does not sound dramatic, (say from -20 to -30 degrees) those 10 degrees have a big influence on our bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment